Thursday, December 03, 2015

Down the Hall and to the Left…

Strattera_atomoxetinWe had a long wait in the Psychiatrist’s office this morning.  I nervously squirmed and wiggled in my seat as I would occasionally glance at my watch.   I couldn't focus on my iPad.  Just as soon as I thought they would call me back, they would call someone else ahead of me to see the doctor.

I did finally see the doctor obviously.  I told him I have trouble concentrating and have for years. Dad had warned me about starting down this avenue as I would have to come back in a month instead of six months.

“I just want to watch TV or read a book like a normal person,” I told my doctor.

I haven’t been able to watch much TV or last through a movie for a long time.  I have trouble reading a book for that matter, and I have struggles staying focused on my coveted videogames as well.

“We can try Adderall,” my doctor said and my father waved him off.

“I don’t want him on any stimulants,” he told Dr. Edwards. 

“We can try Strattera,” my doctor replied.

The doctor handed my father a trial dosage pack. Dad’s having doubts about giving it to me tonight.

I had never heard of any of these drugs prescribed for attention deficit disorders.  I guess I’ve got some reading to do before heading to bed this afternoon.

Photo Credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Strattera_atomoxetin.jpg

No comments: