Wednesday, December 02, 2015

The End Times Are Here! My Father? Altruistic?

zqb-9133_1zEarlier, I quickly drove across the Chattahoochee and got me two barbecue sandwiches from Roger’s – the two best sandwiches I had eaten in a long time and I eat a lot of sandwiches.  I just love Roger’s tangy and vinegary barbecue sauce. They don’t serve sweet, honey infused barbecue around here. It is an abomination.

I’ll tell you another good sandwich is when mom will make me two just run-of-the-mill bologna and Kraft cheese singles sandwiches. They just taste better when mom makes them.  She will gladly fix me some when it is the end of the week and I am running low on food. I always marvel at how fresh and soft mom and dad’s bread tastes.  I never have such luck when buying bread.

Dad arrived very, very late tonight after buying groceries first before arriving at my house.  I was pacing the floor of my den in wanton anticipation and agitation.  I was very livid and angry until what unfolded next…

“I asked your mother what you like to eat and she said you really love frosted flakes and milk.  She said they are always too expensive for you to buy,” dad told me. “I brought you some as a treat.  I got the big box of Frosted Flakes and a gallon of sweet milk. It wasn’t cheap! She said you needed spaghetti noodles so I got some of those as well.”

It is not like my father to be altruistic in such a manner.  Not at all. I had to feel his forehead to see if he was running a fever and feeling delirious. He laughed as I carried on happily about all of this

We took my medications as Maggie sat on the couch between my father and I. Dad called Maggie the supervisor. Just one big happy now medicated family. I had the band Blue State playing on my computer and my father remarked on how much he liked it.

“Your injection is at 9am and then we will drive down to Opelika and see Dr. Edwards,” dad told me. “Then we will go get us two steak biscuits each at Hardee’s. I want my senior coffee as well.”

Lounging in the backyardI told my father to be kind if I act a little wacky.  I would have been asleep for hours by that time. That’s one of the few drawbacks to sleeping in the day when I have appointments like that.

Next, we fed and watered Maggie. She has her rituals as well, you know? She looked on in anticipation as my father threw out last night’s kibble and added fresh kibble to the bowl.  Maggie immediately began to daintily eat the chunks of freeze dried lamb out of her food.  She will save the kibble for later.

Photo Credit:  http://www.soap.com/p/frosted-flakes-cereal-box-61-9-oz-211321

No comments: