Thursday, December 24, 2015

Thank You For this Little Bit of Instant Bliss...

Well, I just made a very rare appearance at my Parent's house on Christmas Eve.  There was a large crowd of people there which I feared the most.  Dad was busy in the kitchen with my sister getting a meal together.  "Let's put the casseroles in," I heard my sister say to my father as I stood by the sink in the kitchen.  My stomach grumbled at the prospect. I have never met a casserole I didn't like.  My sister-in-law had made my late grandmother's traditional oyster casserole. Bliss!

"Thank you for coming," dad told me very sincerely. "I know it took a lot of courage for you to do this."

"Social anxiety has made me miss out on so many Christmases with the family," I told my father. "But I am getting better."

"Barbara has been the best money I have ever spent on you," dad said speaking of my therapist.

"Maggie's been the best thing you have ever done for me," I told my father with a warm smile.

I mingled for a few short minutes, then I delivered my presents for the kids and soon headed back home.

"I am going to make sure you have a super big plate of food," my father told me as I was leaving. "I will bring it tonight along with your Christmas presents, and your medications."

I had a very convoluted drive home with so many bridges around us washed out.  I had to drive through my old childhood neighborhood on the other side of town to make it successfully back to my house.

Right now, we are in a torrential downpour with lots of thunder and lightning.  The power clicked off for about 10 minutes and then clicked back on. I pray the power doesn't go out for a lengthy period of time.

2 comments:

Gin said...

Hoping you make it through the night safely. We had the storms here last night...heavy rain and winds strong enough to pop and shake the house. Scary. Do post first thing in the morning when you get up.

glittermom said...

Never heard of oyster casserole,looked it up , said is a holiday staple in southern coastal cities..probably why I never heard of it...