Saturday, December 05, 2015

Hot Chocolate is My New Beau…

09c7937d593861738c7f2ec3046a31b8Before I left the house, I called my father.

“I’m getting out and about in a minute. Do you want me to come and get my medications? You might not want to get out in this very cold night air. It is already 39° degrees.”

“I’m headed your way now,” he said defiantly and determinedly.

Well, I was going to go get some hot chocolate, but had to wait on my father.  Thirty minutes passed and he still wasn’t here so I called him.

“I’m stuck in the drive-thru at McDonald’s,” he said. “I thought I would get you supper ala Charlie. I’ll be there soon.”

I gambled and hurried down to Circle K just down the street and brought two large Hot Chocolates home and dad pulled in my driveway right behind me. It was perfect timing on both our parts.  I handed my father’s Hot Chocolate to him and he thanked me profusely.

“It’ll warm you up on this cold night,” I told him. 

We both sat on my couch relishing our very hot steaming drinks as football played on my HDTV.  It really did hit the spot.  I was shocked that my father brought supper like that. Very shocked. He’s only done that a handful of times in several years. That impromptu meal is totally out of character for him and more of the kind of thing Charlie would do. Charlie always brings at least a couple of regular Cokes or a fast food meal and usually both.

After we finished our hot drinks, it was time for the medication ritual which was highly anticipated by me.  I just want to feel better and this new medication makes me feel so very good – sorta my soma compound of Huxley fame. I don't dare tell my father that  this new medication makes me feel euphoric.  He would quit giving it to me.

The Biscuit Man Cometh Once Again…

I’m all ready for Charlie to arrive in the morning.  It is going on 2½ years since Charlie first started our Sunday Morning biscuit ritual. Can you believe that? I can honestly say he has never missed a visit in all that time.  It might take him till almost lunchtime, but your breakfast biscuits are on their way.

Photo Credit: http://brokestudentguide.blogspot.com/2011/12/broke-student-finals-survival-strategy.html

No comments: