Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Kudos Abound...

After dad and I completed the medication ritual, we stepped into the kitchen so my father could see what I was cooking.  He surprised me tonight by being so early at 8 pm.   I had water boiling on the stove for spaghetti noodles. Dad watched as I added the noodles, added some salt, and set the kitchen timer on my microwave for 11 minutes.

"It smells delicious in here," my father told me after taking the lid off my pot to peer at my meat sauce.

Dad left for the grocery store a few minutes later and I noticed he forgot my medication blister packet sitting on my surround speaker by the couch.  The old addict in me would have taken every Klonopin in that blister pack without any regards to the consequences.  It would be tomorrow night before my father realized my medications were missing.  I immediately called my father and he swung back by my house to get the medications. I wanted no temptations tonight.

"I am so proud of you, son," he said. "For being so honest and calling me."

I got many more accolades before my father left for Kroger.

"I'm not the same person I was years ago when I was drinking," I told my father. "You can trust me now."

image credit:  http://www.crocusmed.com/pill-pak.html

No comments: