Friday, December 04, 2015

Food, For We Must Eat…

cornucopia-by-saratica-cornucopia-flickerMinutes ago, I was standing in the only open checkout lane at the Piggly Wiggly just a few miles from my home.  In my cart were a loaf of cheap whole grain wheat bread, a costly container of Carving Board roasted turkey, Kraft singles, and a gallon of milk.  I truly tried to keep the cost down. I swiped my debit card and thought of how lucky I was to be able to buy food so easily.

“Mom?” I said to my mother on the drive home. “I got a few groceries to get me by the weekend.”

Now, she will quit calling me and obsessing over her worries.

“Thank you for calling me, dear,” she said.  “Your daddy is bringing you tonight’s meal.  He will be there around 9:30pm unless he falls asleep in his lazy boy.”

That would be just my luck,” I thought of my mother’s words of warning.

My stomach grumbled at the prospect of homemade vegetable soup, cornbread, toasted cheese sandwiches, and German potato salad.

That’s basically all that’s going on around here where many molehills are turned into mountains.

Photo Credit:  http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/17815

No comments: